"God will never give you more than you can handle"

Really? Says who? I have heard this "verse" quoted so many times throughout my Christian life. It sounds so righteous. It sounds so sensible.

But here's the deal: I looked it up. I even went to Bible.com- I can't find that verse. The closest thing I've found is a verse that talks about temptation.
1 Corinthians 10:13 -
13No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and (A)God is faithful, who will not allow you to be (B)tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.


A good word about temptation...but....


Where does that leave us? Where does that leave my friends Vance and Marlise who are watching their baby girl slowly die? Where does that leave my sister whose heart has been broken time and again by a man who promised to love her for the rest of his life? Where does that leave those of us who are losing our businesses, our friendships, our hope?


Are we to think that God gives us stuff because we "can handle it"?


I've thought about this alot lately. I think as Christians we throw around phrases and words without really thinking about them. Sometimes we say things we've always heard others say, because we don't really know what to say when we run into a situation that we have no better answer for. There is absolutely no explanation you could conjure that would justify losing a child. I don't have the answer for my friend Marlise who sits by tiny Lizzie's bedside in the hospital knowing that any breath might be her last. The thought that God "gave" them this because "they can handle it" makes me sick to my stomach. I don't know why God is allowing this heartache in the lives of my friends. I have no answer. None.


But I can tell you this: Vance and Marlise have inspired me. They have touched my heart. They have pointed me to Jesus. They knew Lizzie had challenges before she was even born, yet they faithfully and passionately chose to bring her into this world. They loved her as much as any parents have loved their child. Lizzie has brought joy to lives of so many. Her short little life has had a very specific purpose, and God chose Vance and Marlise to be her parents. I know that Vance and Marlise cry out to God in their pain, trusting God, remaining faithful to their Savior even in the darkest of hours. I know that Jesus holds their family close tonight.


And in that thought I realize that at the end of the day, God is God. And in the hardest of moments, I know that he is the only thing in life I can count on.

Psalm 18:2

2The Lord is my Rock, my Fortress, and my Deliverer; my God, my keen and firm Strength in Whom I will trust and take refuge, my Shield, and the Horn of my salvation, my High Tower.(A)


Comments

Popular Posts