30 Things in 30 Days- Day 19

My friend Brenda from Medford made the suggestion that I show my patriotism for one of my 30 days. I thought today would be a perfect day to do that.
My Grandpa, Clifford Shelby, was a soldier. He was a "belly gunner" in WWII. As he grew old and his brain was consumed by Alzheimers, he would carry around this little black notebook. It was his journal from that time in his life, and he would would just walk around and randomly read passages from it. I was so young at the time, and I was just bewildered by some of the things he said. I can't imagine the bravery it took to put himself in that kind of danger for his country and the people he loved. I wish I would have been smart enough to ask him questions when he was still with us. I am so thankful for his service and the sacrifice of all the men and women that served along side him. Today we honor those who have paid the ultimate price, and we honor those who have served and continue to serve. Thank you.
I started my day by emailing some soldiers I know to thank them. Our family is heading out to a Memorial Day service today. I'm looking forward to it. No matter where you are or what you are doing, take some time to express your gratitude to our soldiers. They deserve your respect and gratitude.

Comments

Popular Posts