REALLY GOD?

You know I love stories. I think they are so important. Last Sunday one of my favorite speakers, Larry Knight, read a story out of the Bible. It's in Joshua 3 in case you want to look it up. Remember when the Isrealites were released from slavery in Egypt and wandered around in the desert LOST for 40 years? Talk about a bummer. Anyway, this story starts when God tells Joshua that it's time to head out of the desert and into the land of freedom that God had promised them from the beginning.I'm pretty sure the people's response was something like this.

"Yuussss...we're leaving the desert. No more wilderness. Pack your stuff, kids. We're out of here! Wait. Ummmm...I know you're God and everything, but NOW? Check it out. The river is at flood stage, and we have to carry this big heavy golden box across with us. Fast moving water. Flood stage. Heavy box. Small children. No offense, but your timing kind of stinks. What's that, you say? Pick up some heavy rocks on our way out?! Carry them over to the other side? Sweet. Even better."

 So they go. They take everything they've been slogging around in the wilderness for decades and they head out to the flooded river. And they're packing the heavy Arc of the Covenant box, big ol' heavy stones and a big fat dose of... obedience. Yup. It didn't make sense, but they went.

How many times have I asked for something and God answers in a really weird way and I say, "Really?" I've said it a hundred times and I'll say it again: God's answers rarely look how we think they're gonna look. It's just life. Flooded rivers, heavy stones, heavy treasures. No excuses. God wants our complete, immediate obedience. We do our part, and let Him do His. Period.

So what happened? Well, the river dried up so the entire nation of Israel could cross. And the people dropped their 12 big stones on the other side and made a monument for their children. So when their children asked, "Hey mom, what's that?" they would be reminded to tell the story of how God brought them over to the other side into freedom. The stones were there to remind them to tell stories.

If I win the lottery I'm going to get me 12 fatty stones and park them right in my front yard. And when people ask me what they're there for, I'll tell them a story.


Are you telling the kids in your life stories? If you aren't, you should. Or write them down to give to them later. Stories are important. In fact, I think they're priceless. So go tell a story. You'll be glad you did.

Comments

Popular Posts