YOU GET ON MY NERVES

ANNOYING CHRISTIAN PHRASES



1. Be in the world, not of the world. I heard someone use this to back up their argument against tattoos once. Puleeeeeze. Some people use the "not of the world" to create their list of "don'ts". We need to be careful. I want my faith to be more about what I'm FOR, rather than what I'm AGAINST. Are there times when I should take a stand? Absolutely. My faith in Christ sets me apart. Sometimes that means going the extra mile and being ridiculously generous or gracious. Sometimes it means giving things up to make room for God to work in my life. Sometimes it means speaking truth when it's awkward. And sometimes that means taking a stand against religious dingdongs who love 'rules' more than people.

2. Love the sinner, hate the sin. I understand what some people mean by this, and the intention truly comes from a good place in their heart. But for many, this is a COP-OUT! And to most people, it sounds holier-than-thou. Some Christians use this phrase to avoid getting squidgy. They use it to hold back a little bit. They use it to avoid being engaged in messy grace. God has given us great freedom to LOVE. Do it without reservation or distraction. Don't try to separate 'sin' from the 'sinner.' That's God's job. Just Love the sinner, hate the sin.

3. God will never give you more than you can handle. This is complete rubbish. Rot. Drivel. Hooey. Nonsense. Guess what? Life dishes out colossal amounts of crap. If you haven't learned that yet, you will. And guess what else? Sometimes we aren't strong enough to handle it! If all that came our way was stuff we could handle, why would we need God? I think this misinterpreted/misquoted phrase comes from a verse in 1 Corinthians 10:13. This verse is talking about temptation. So get over yourself. You can't handle everything that will ever come your way. It's okay - you're in good company. Happens to me all the time. Welcome to the club.

What are some 'Christian' words or phrases that get on your nerves sometimes? Why?

Comments

Popular Posts