JUST REST


Matthew 11:28-30
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.





I have heard this passage so many times, and I still don’t think I’ve peeled back the layers 
to find the truth at it’s very core. 

REST. 
This is hard

I read a passage like this and it’s easy to interpret it as 
“Ah! So God wants me to take it easy. He wants to make me comfortable and safe.” 

In fact, I have recently realized for my whole life many of my prayers were just that
If I wasn't praying for comfort of some kind, 
I was praying for safety for myself or someone I loved.


But here's the thing. 

God sent his only child to hang on a cross and be tortured to death. 
And it wasn’t so I could be comfortable
And it wasn’t so I could be safe. 

We each have a part to play in bringing God’s kingdom here on earth. 
And if we all have a part to play, how does the word ‘REST’ work into all of this? 
Well, I’m no biblical scholar. 
But one thing God promises in this passage is that he will teach us. 
He asks us to ‘learn’ from him. 
In the coming days I hope to post some things I'm learning. 
These things are helping me rest in Him.


What are some things that keep you from resting?




Comments

Popular Posts