TREASURE JARS

I sit and watch my grandson's Momma rub her belly and I watch her smile as she dreams of his future. My heart sings. And not so long ago I was just like her, rubbing my belly and dreaming big dreams for my little ones.

I wondered what kind of grown-ups they would be. I wondered what their laugh would sound like. I wondered where they would go and how they would contribute to the world. I wondered what it would be like to have empty seats around the dinner table. I wondered about who they would give their hearts to.



I don't have to wonder much any more.

Motherhood is a sweet journey, brutal and beautiful. As a Momma, I will never stop dreaming for my kids. And when the Bible talks about Mary, Jesus's Momma, it says she treasured things up in her heart. I never really understood that until I had little ones to love.


I have a jar of treasures I keep in my own heart, and I save them for the sad days.

And then there is this; Mother's Day can be a sharp reminder of things lost and broken. Today there are Mommas who are aching and weeping over lost dreams and broken treasures. They have empty laps and empty arms and no one brings them flowers. And I've been thinking about this today, and I realize there are few things that can fix a Momma's broken heart.

But Mommas are tough. They grit their teeth and they set their eyes on hope. They believe the best about their children, even when they shouldn't. They weep and celebrate and worry and cheer. And on the sad days they remember the treasures buried deep, from days long ago. And in quiet moments they take them out and squint and hold them up to the sky until the light shines through. 

Today, if you're a Momma, I wish you a jar full of treasures. May you find shiny, colorful moments that will last you years and years and years. And may you find peace, even in the broken places.

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life." - Abraham Lincoln



Comments

Popular Posts